The coat of arms of the Princely House of Liechtenstein is also the coat of arms of the Principality of Liechtenstein. It is the emblem of the Principality and is used for seals and stamps as well as on official signs and stationery. However, the most well-known symbol of Liechtenstein is the blue and red national flag.
The national flag of Liechtenstein consists of two equal horizontal bands of blue (top) and red. In the blue band there is a crown-like golden symbol depicting the Princely Hat. The origins and meaning of the flag are still not entirely clear. It may have been inspired by the uniforms worn by members of the Princely Court in the 18th century. The Princely Hat was added to the flag in 1937 in order to prevent it being confused with the national flag of Haiti.
The national coat of arms is identical to the coat of arms of the Princely House. It was introduced as the national coat of arms in 1957. Its current form is set out in a law dating back to 1982. The large coat of arms shows six motifs related to the history and origins of the Princely House. The small coat of arms is the family coat of arms of the Princely House showing a red and gold shield below the Princely Hat. This small coat of arms is used, among other things, on road signs indicating the start and end of municipalities and on car registration plates.
The coat of arms is quarterly with chapé in base, charged with per fess or and gules over all. The individual shields united in the large coat of arms indicate the history of the Princely House: