On 1 September 1817, the k.k. österreichische Post (Imperial and Royal Austrian Post) opened a mail collection station in Balzers, followed in 1845 by a second collection station in Vaduz. The Unterland received its first post office in 1864 in Nendeln, followed by post offices in Schaan in 1874 and Triesen in 1890. By 1912, there were a total of five Austrian-run post offices in Liechtenstein. That same year Liechtenstein also began to issue its own stamps. After the First World War, Liechtenstein left its 100-year relationship with the Austrian post and joined the Swiss PTT, concluding a postal contract with Switzerland in 1920. The move was regarded as necessary requirement to adopting the Swiss franc and customs treaty with Switzerland.
As a result of joining the European Economic Area (EEA), the postal agreement with Switzerland was terminated in 1999. On 1 January 2000, the Liechtensteinische Post AG went into operation. The Liechtensteinische Post AG announced that it is celebrating the anniversary of the country’s postal services on 1 September. On this day, the Philatelie Liechtenstein will unveil a souvenir sheet of stamps “200 Years Postal Services in Liechtenstein” for sale. Postcards can also be sent free of charge on that day. The programme also includes guided tours of the Vaduz post office.